The Maureen Varnes, CLM Memorial Volunteer of the Year ("VOTY") Award is named in honor of its founder, GLA ALA's 2008-2009 President, and is given annually to acknowledge and reward outstanding civic involvement and leadership by an individual within the Greater Los Angeles Chapter of the Association of Legal Administrators ("GLA ALA") and our community at large.
Members may submit up to two (2) Member Nomination Forms on or before the nomination deadline. GLA ALA’s Executive Committee will certify that the eligibility requirements below have been met and will select the VOTY Award winner, who will be notified then introduced and acknowledged at the annual Leadership Luncheon.
We encourage nominations of individuals who have participated in any one or more of the following categories of volunteer service projects or programs:
• THE ARTS – promoting the cultural life of the community.
• CIVIC SERVICE – encouraging civic involvement, dedicated to improving citizenship or enhancing the quality of life in the community.
• EDUCATION – creating and/or supporting an environment where knowledge flourishes (may or may not relate to a classroom setting).
• SOCIAL SERVICE – contributing to the well-being of people.
- GLA ALA member in good standing during the prior calendar year, and has not previously received a VOTY (Executive Committee members are not eligible);
- The individual selected must have performed outstanding volunteer Chapter and/or community service of a sustained, direct and consequential nature during the prior calendar year. While there is no specific amount of time required to qualify for the VOTY (ie. 100 hours of community service), we are looking for members who have demonstrated continued involvement and dedication to a project or program which contributed to the overall improvement of the Chapter and/or the community at large. The VOTY award is intended to recognize exceptional Chapter and/or community involvement and support over time, not a single act or achievement. Further, it is intended to honor direct support of community activities. For purposes of this award, attending membership meetings or social events is not considered qualifying service. The overall level of volunteer participation and impact of an individual’s community service is the key to determining whether the nominated member qualifies for the VOTY award.
Maureen Varnes, CLM Volunteer of the Year "VOTY"
||Terri Oppelt, CLM, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
||W. James Van Dusen, CLM
||Maricela Gonzalez, SPHR
Jean Jewell, CLM